Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Sigh...if you don't want to read a depressing post today, you might want to close this window now. A few things have happened in the last couple of days that lead me to this post. First of all, I've been watching reruns of "The Cosby Show" in the mid-morning. I can't watch a rerun of the Cosby show without thinking about Ennis Cosby, Bill Cosby's son, who was murdered while he was changing a tire on the side of the freeway. Does anyone remember when that happened? It was so sad...when asked for a statement, Bill Cosby simply said, "He was my hero." Then I saw a tribute show to the memory of Ennis Cosby; I think it was an episode of Oprah. Oprah interviewed Ennis Cosby's friends, and I just watched and teared up. He was obviously such a wonderful person. Bill Cosby too. I watch the reruns and think over and over again, Why Ennis Cosby? And why Bill and Camille Cosby? All Ennis wanted to do was help people. Why isn't there a popular show on one of the major networks centered on people of color? Why are they marginalized to the WB and UPN? I was a big fan of "The Cosby Show" when I was a child, but when I watch it now, I still think it's a great show. Bill Cosby is so good with the children and you can tell he loves them all. It breaks my heart that this happened to him.


Also, it was rumored that one of my very good friends from college committed suicide. My friend April and I freaked out and made a collective effort to get in touch with him. Luckily, he's alive and doing great, but I was brooding over that for a while before I found out he's okay.


The older sister of a woman I went to high school with died of a sudden illness at age 32. She had at least one small child as far as I know.


Finally, my best friend's mother is in the hospital with lung complications. I really want her to get better soon.


Losing people has been kind of a theme in my thoughts lately. I thought about my friend Holland from high school who committed suicide several years ago. He had just started law school and appeared to have everything going for him. You never know; everything is uncertain. I hate to end like that, with a cliche, but I need to get to work.