Wednesday, March 26, 2003

I have a paper to write that is due Friday for my Gender in Science and Technology class. It's no big deal, just a response paper on the reading we've been doing lately for the class...4-5 pages double-spaced, nothing I can't handle. The books include Feminism and the Body, which is a collection of essays edited by Londa Schiebinger, and Out of the Dead House: Nineteenth-Century Women Physicians and the Writing of Medicine by Susan Wells. I'm planning on mostly using essays from Feminism and the Body but bringing in a little bit of Wells, because I'm interested in exploring the question of why it is important for feminists to study the body. I must admit, at first I thought people did body studies because they thought it was interesting--for the cool factor, if you will. But now, after doing more reading in body studies, I realize that science and the body have been used to justify white patriarchy, and that by studying how scientists and philosophers have theorized the body, feminists can undo body assumptions.